Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Birthday in Fort Myers, FL

1/25/2017

First thing today Clark and I made a quick trip to the Marine Trading Post boat supplies store. We only needed one item - an anchor shackle.  Clark noticed that the one currently attaching the anchor to the anchor chain is undersized for the size of this boat. Since, as they say, it’s only as strong as the weakest link, he figured we better swap it out for a larger shackle. We don’t want to leave our anchor at the bottom of the sea because the connector broke! 

Later this morning, my college roommate, Ginny, and her husband, Matt, arrived as planned to spend the afternoon visiting. We decided to walk into town to a restaurant with a good menu and good reviews called Gwendolyn’s Café that I found via Google. On the way there we walked past Ford’s Garage which was packed with people and appeared to have a waiting line – obviously very popular choice.

Arriving at Gwendolyn’s Café, we found only a few other customers. We grabbed a booth and sat reading our menus. As per usual, after a few minutes, the waitress asked if we were ready to order. She seemed quite dismayed when we said we needed a bit more time. Then she said, “Well, can I have your menus? I need them for the customers at the next table.”

Taken aback, we surrendered two of our menus to her. I suggested to Ginny that they might want to consider printing a few more copies. After all, the restaurant appeared mostly empty. Weird!

When the waitress came back the next time, I ordered first and chose a sandwich that came with a choice of sides: fries, sweet potato fries, potato salad, macroni salad, and fruit. Before I could ask for the fries, she said, “We are out of fries and sweet potato fries!” What American restaurant runs out of fries??!! Of course that was my side of choice! She offered breakfast potatoes instead, but I declined that option and opted for potato salad.

Ginny ordered a pasta dish with a side salad. The guys ordered fish sandwiches. After a rather long wait, the waitress came back and told Ginny that the restaurant was out of pasta, so she would need to make an alternate choice. Really?? No fries and no pasta. Ginny chose quesadillas instead.

After another long wait, Ginny’s side salad showed up. The waitress said it did not come with Ginny’s quesadillas but she was giving it to her anyway. That was nice. Then, finally, after another long while, Ginny’s quesadillas showed up. Now Ginny had two dishes and the rest of us had none.  Eventually the rest of the meals appeared.

Even though the place appeared empty, the waitress seemed rushed and I wondered what was going on in the kitchen. The waitress said that they were extremely busy earlier, and she mentioned something about catering in her explanation of slowness and lack of food.  Ultimately, and without our asking, she gave us our drinks for free and did not charge for a portion of the meal.

Ginny summed up our feelings on the matter quite nicely when she said, “We’re retired.” We had time to wait for the food, and we chose not to stress over the lack of food choices. The fact that we could sit and talk without interruption and without a lot of noisy other customers was a plus. Besides I really enjoyed my sandwich, and I really don’t need to be eating French fries!

After we left there, we decided to walk two blocks over to the ‘Scoops on First’ ice cream shop for dessert. I cannot remember the name of the flavor I chose, but it was vanilla with a mix of caramel, chocolate chips, peanut butter cup, heath bar, and maybe more good stuff I have forgotten. It was scrumptious!

As we strolled through downtown, we got some pictures of the area. These rusty statues are scattered around town. 





We also got pictures of the four of us to commemorate our second annual get together.

Matt, Ginny, Ev

Ginny, Ev, Clark


Afterwards, we walked back to the boat where Clark got a call that his $900 alternator was in at the shop ready for pickup. Clark took Matt with him, and they went to retrieve it while Ginny and I chatted on the boat. After the guys returned with the alternator, Matt and Ginny could tell that Clark was anxious to get working on it. As they had over an hour’s drive to get home, we said our farewells. What a lovely day we had together!

In less than an hour after they left, Clark had the new alternator installed. We had to leave to pick up a rental car for tomorrow, so he had to wait to test his work until we returned from that quick trip. Almost as soon as we set foot back on the boat, my phone rang and it was my son, Jeff, calling to wish me happy birthday. We talked and talked and talked while Clark tested his alternator installation and put the engine cover in place, etc. Only a sea trial will tell for sure, but so far, the tests indicate that the repair was a success. Fingers crossed!!

Once again we ended up with a late dinner. I cooked since we had lunch out compliments of Ginny and Matt. Clark has promised me a nice dinner out for my birthday; we’ll save that for another day.

After dinner Clark had me download battery monitoring software on my laptop since his is not Microsoft-based. The software connects to a USB cable on the boat and provides data on the operation of the batteries. Nice except he took my laptop to look at the displays which meant I could not use it. That made working on my blog challenging to say the least.

Tomorrow we take our car and the rental car and drive to Marathon in the Florida Keys. We will leave our car there and return in the rental car so our car will be waiting for us when we arrive by boat. It will be about 10 to 11 hours of driving round trip. Yech! I am not looking forward to a full day sitting in a car. 

1 comment: