Monday, June 6, 2016

SC: Exploring Charleston

Day 322
May 28, 2016
No Boat Travel

We tried to get an early start to the day to get out and see some of Charleston before Tropical Storm Bonny came to town. We did not quite succeed as it took longer to get ourselves together than hoped. Since we could see that time was moving on rapidly, we took just a little more time before we left Sea Moss to pack ourselves a picnic lunch to eat while exploring.

Devon said she wanted to let Sierra play in a fountain so we headed to the Waterfront Park first.

Carved Pineapple Fountain
 Wading was allowed / encouraged on the first two steps of the fountain.

Sierra ventured in

and decided she loved it!
We had a bit of trouble convincing Sierra that we needed to leave. The rain started out as a fine mist as I sat watching Sierra play in the fountain. By the time we left the park the rain was definitely coming down. We walked from one park to another to get a feel for the city.



Historic Buildings and Cobble-stoned Street
 in Charleston, SC
 By the time we reached the other park, we were ready to seek shelter from the rain. We found a gazebo sadly lacking any type of seat but at least offering to keep us dry while we ate our picnic lunch.


Rainy day in the park
 Touring the town during a tropical storm was probably not the best choice; however, weather was predicted to be worse on Sunday.

Very wet Meeting Street in Charleston, S.C. 

Jeff in orange carrying Sierra, Devon in Blue,
and me in pink walking through town
After a wet day in the city, we headed back to the boat to dry off and hang out. Devon took Sierra in for her nap. Jeff and Clark pulled out their laptops, and I read my novel. Later, I once again cooked dinner on board. This time I made my stove-top version of meatloaf which is a family favorite. Since I did the cooking, I got to relax as Jeff and Devon washed and dried the dishes. Actually I sneaked into my stateroom and worked on the blog to try to catch up on entries. It has been hard to find time with all the fun family activities!


No comments:

Post a Comment