Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Bahamas: Bimini - We arrived today

Day 262
March 29, 2016
NM Today: 62
NM Total: 3957

Well today we got to see the sunrise for a change. Our alarm went off at 7:00 at precisely the same time we got a phone call from Lila Blue saying they were pulling up anchor and heading on their way to Bimini. Clark told them we would be leaving in about a half hour, and we got busy preparing for our day of travel. At 7:30, as predicted, we had our anchor up and were on our way as well.


Sunrise at Pumpkin Key Anchorage

Once I verified that Clark had all the paraphernalia that he needed to navigate and be self-sufficient up top, I set to making breakfast for both of us to eat while underway. Last night before closing up the upper helm for the night we worked together to enter our waypoints and route for today’s travel. That certainly saved time this morning. When Clark activated the route, the navigation system calculated the travel time to be about 8 hours.

We watched the depth as we journeyed further and further out into the Atlantic Ocean. In Florida we saw max depths of 8 feet or so. That number rapidly and continuously increased. Shortly after the depth got to just over 1000 feet our depth finder gave up reporting. It was just too deep for our system to get a reading of the depth. 

Several freighters passed by us as we made way to Bimini. At one point I asked Clark what it was that I could see off in the distance. We both decided it looked like trees, so it must be an island. Not too long later Clark said, “Your island is heading straight for you.” I looked over and there was a big, old freighter passing by. I thought it was too early to find an island, but it looked nothing like a freighter in the distance, I swear!

Even though they started out before us, we passed Lila Blue rather early on because we traveled at a higher speed than they did. After we passed them, we could see them getting smaller and smaller on the horizon. With the hazy horizon, it eventually became too difficult to see them with the naked eye, yet Clark could still find them with the binoculars.


Lila Blue on hazy horizon
(see the little white dot?)

 To pass the time I did a lot of reading on my Kindle, piloted the boat while Clark took pit-stop breaks, made meals, did some crossword puzzles … Several times over the course of planning this excursion I heard Clark explaining to other boaters about his planned route to head due east to hit Bimini as if he was leaving from Miami instead of a considerable number of miles south of there at Key Largo. While we aimed due east, the Gulf Stream carried us north thus depositing us at our desired endpoint. I found Clark’s explanation of how he calculated the exact heading for our boat so that we landed in Biminii and not out at sea rather interesting and that also helped to pass some time along our cruise.

The next thing I knew Clark was telling me that we only had one hour to go to get to the marina. As we got closer and closer, the water became bluer and bluer.  Eventually Clark said, “Laaaand Hoooo!” and this time it was for real.


"Land Ho!" ... first site of Bimini

Oh my .. such blue water

At the entrance to Alice Town,  a 75-to-100 foot or so boat passed us entering the harbor. Clark pulled in behind him and followed him in knowing that our water draft is certainly less than his. 

In fact Clark did such a good job following him that he took us right past the marina we planned to stay at for the night and kept on going. Actually I think he was too busy admiring the water. At one point he exclaimed, “The water is so clear blue it is like boating in a swimming pool.” We could see the bottom very clearly.

I noticed by looking on the chart that we had passed a marina that was east of the one we needed and pointed it out to Clark. He spun the boat in 180 degrees and headed back the short distance we had overshot. He said, “Now you have had the grand tour.” I thanked him as when we leave here we will travel in the opposite direction, so I got to see some parts of Bimini from the water I would not have seen otherwise.

Having changed his mind twice about where to stay, Clark finally ended up with a reservation at Blue Water Marina in Bimini. Coming into the Bahamas, as with any country, we had to pass through Customs and Immigration. We put up our yellow quarantine flag that says the boat has not yet checked in. We must fly that flag upon entering any non-U.S. country including Canada. Once we have cleared customs, we take down the quarantine flag, continue to fly our U.S. flag, but add a small “courtesy” flag of the country we are visiting.

Only the captain can leave the boat to visit customs and immigration, so Clark took all the paperwork, e.g. passports, and headed off to walk to first one then the other of these two offices to get us all squared away for our stay here. He did not even take the time to check in at the marina before running off to take care of government business. Meanwhile I sat on the boat awaiting his return.

I planned on reading while he was gone, but when I looked over the side of the boat, it was like I was floating in an aquarium. At first I only saw some little yellow and black striped fish swimming under the docks. They were pretty, but what really surprised me was when a stingray swam on by like no one’s business. Too cool for words!

When Clark got back to the boat from customs and immigration, he immediately went up top to the VHF radio to try to contact Lila Blue. I was sitting on the ‘grand staircase’ on our boat when a man came up to me and asked, “Did you just buy this boat?” What an odd question I thought! “No”, I said, “we’ve owned it for sixteen years.” “Oh, well”, he says, “I know this boat. I kept my boat on Rumson Creek for years.” It turned out that he has known Clark for the past 20-something years, and they have talked frequently being “almost” neighbors.  He kept his boat on the dock almost directly across the creek from us! Small world!

I yelled up to Clark that he had a visitor and as soon as he leaned over the railing to see who it was, he recognized Bob from the sailboat Aftermath. After that it was hard to keep Clark focused on the business of settling in. He plugged in the power cord for the boat but forgot to flip the circuit breaker, so I had no power. I asked about WiFi and he didn’t have the information. I asked where I could find a restroom, and he didn’t know that either.

What I found truly annoying was that instead of taking care of business, even checking in at the marina, all Clark seemed to want to do was converse with Bob. Bob has been coming to the Bahamas for years and is an expert on boating here, so they did discuss important things like the weather and places to visit in the Bahamas, etc. I would just have liked to be settled in first.

I found the lack of electricity surprising and annoying since I had pulled out my cook pot to make dinner but found I had no electric to start it cooking. Looking over onto the dock, I could see the boat cord plugged into the power source, so now what. I had to go find Clark – he was on Bob’s boat talking about the weather. I dragged him back so I could get power.



Aftermath at dock in Bimini: Blue Water Marina

Perhaps it was fortuitous that I had no power with which to cook because when Clark came on board he told me that Bob and his wife, Mary Ann, were going to a local marina to get hamburgers for dinner. “Good”, I said, “Let’s join them.” That took Clark a little by surprise since he said they had not invited us to join them. Still I figured it would be fine, and of course it was.


We had dinner at the Big Game Marina. The 8 ounce burgers cost $15 each with 18% gratuity automatically added to the bill and a 7.5% Value Added Tax thrown on top. At $37 for two burgers I was glad that my burger came prepared the way I asked and was very tasty to boot. Since the menu did not mention them, it came as an unexpected bonus that the burgers came with fries.

Walking to and back from the restaurant I felt like I was taking my life in my hands. We stepped off marina property right onto the road. We had to wait for traffic to pass and then we walked practically in the street to get there. The road was barely wide enough for two cars to pass. Thank goodness the cars are small here and many folks seem to drive golf carts instead of cars. There were no sidewalks. "Is this Main Street in Alice Town?" I asked myself.


Golf Cart driving on the Main Street.
Note the side of the road being used ... like Britain!

Getting and keeping an internet connection has been painful and time-consuming tonight. As mentioned in last night's post, blogging will be sporadic based on what I can manage to find in connectivity and bandwidth.

1 comment: