Sunday, June 28, 2015

Portsmouth Olympic Harbour Marina, Kingston, Canada

Day 12

Today we stayed on the boat in the marina due to the rain that came in over night.  We slept in late as a treat.  I am disappointed in the marina for two reasons.  1. When I took my shower this morning, I found there was no hot water to be had.  Given it was all of 63 degrees out, a hot / warm shower would have been appreciated.  What really annoyed me was not the cold shower I suffered through, but the fact that the person I told after the fact told me that they knew there is no hot water and maintenance will not be available to fix it until Monday.  Had I been given advance warning, I would not have bothered with their showers in the first place.  2. A boat across the way from us smelled of gasoline.  When Clark reported it to the marina staff, they said that they knew there was a boat with a gas leak but there is nothing they could do about it due to liability concerns. Well if that boat blows up on their dock and takes out a few boats with it, one would think there would be some other liability concerns on their part.  (Later in the day, the boat owner of the gas-stinky boat came and took it away from here. Yay!) Otherwise, I have no complaints with the marina, and it is in a good location for the next leg of our trip.

By the time I got back to the boat from my cold shower, it was getting late for breakfast but I had my heart set on making pancakes.  We finally ate at 11:00 - almost in time for lunch.  Following our brunch, we both dug into our self-assigned chores.  I had a list of items to take care of and I can happily report that I completed my list.  First I started the fridge defrost job.  Clark suggested aiming a fan at the refrigerator and that worked like a charm to get things melting in a hurry.  While the fridge thawed, I repaired my green / orange jacket that was missing a button,

After finishing those two jobs, I set to making a divider for my silverware drawer.  I knew I brought knives with me, but every time we dig in there all we find is spoons and forks.  I couldn't take it any longer.  I brought miscellaneous items with me that I might need to make / repair things.  One thing I threw in at the last minute was plastic canvas which has come in handy a couple of times already.  I made my silverware divider out of the plastic canvas.  I can now easily find all my knives!

Last, but certainly not least important, I took down the screen on the side door and refashioned it to open down the middle.  It was set up to open on the side and that was a mistake on my part.  It is one of those "as seen on TV" magic screens that closes itself after someone walks through.  It was way too large for the doorway, so I modified it to fit but my design was poorly done.  I'm hoping this revised solution works better.  With today's to-do list completed, I feel quite accomplished!

While I was doing my miscellaneous tasks, Clark was mostly planning out our next two nights. Where, how far, ratings on the application "Active Captain", etc.  After that he decided to wire in our Vonage phone to the boat.  Running wires on the boat is never fun or easy, and this time was no exception to that rule.  Even though he took the easier of two options, it was still a hassle to get the job done.  I stopped what I was doing multiple times to assist with the wire pulling job.  The good news is that he was successful,  so now whenever we have WiFi, we also have an operational Vonage internet phone line.  This should prove helpful with reducing cell phone charges as long as we can find WiFi along the way.

As we were working away, late in the afternoon, a couple of tall sailing ships came into harbor which added a little novelty to our otherwise ho-hum day.  The one shown below actually docked directly behind our boat.

Tall ship coming into Portsmouth Olympic Harbour Marina

4 guys putting away the sails.  I would not want that job.

No comments:

Post a Comment